Colonel Lee Bouma is the Commander, 173d Maintenance Group, 173d Fighter Wing, Kingsley Field, Oregon. As the 173d Maintenance Group Commander, he is responsible for all matters pertaining to aircraft and equipment readiness.
Col Bouma completed Basic Training in July 1997 at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas followed by completion of Aircraft Maintenance Technical in June 1998, returning to the 120th FW, Montana Air National Guard. Col Bouma graduated from Montana State University in 2002 with a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Management followed by commissioning as an Air Force Officer at McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tennessee. He graduated Undergraduate Pilot Training in March 2004 and was recognized as a Distinguished Graduate. Following this, Col Bouma attended F-16C training where he was again recognized as the class Distinguished Graduate. He returned to the 120th FW where he participated in two deployments, one to South Korea and the other to Balad Air Base, Iraq. He then transitioned to the F-15C, graduating in February 2009 with a return to the 120th FW. In June 2014 Col Bouma graduated from C-130H training as an Aircraft Commander and was also recognized as a Distinguished Graduate. Col Bouma completed Air Command and Staff College via correspondence in December 2014. He then transitioned to the Oregon Air National Guard’s 173d Fighter Wing at Kingsley Field in March 2015 and subsequently deployed to the Netherlands in 2016 as an F-15C Instructor Pilot. Col Bouma completed Air War College in August 2020 via correspondence. Since arriving at Kingsley Field, he has served in the command roles of 173d Maintenance Squadron Commander, 173d Mission Support Group Deputy Commander, and currently the 173d Maintenance Group Commander. Col Bouma has flown 22 combat sorties in Operation Iraqi Freedom and has over 75 hours of combat time. He is a senior pilot with over 2000 total flight hours in the T-37, T-38C, F-16B/C/D, F-15C/D and C-130H1/2/3. Prior to his current position the Colonel was Deputy Commander, 173d Mission Support Group, Oregon Air National Guard, Kingsley Field, Klamath Falls, OR.
2002 Bachelor of Science, Business Management, Montana State University-Bozeman
2002 Academy Of Military Science, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
2009 Squadron Officer Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2020 Air War College, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
1. June 1997 – July 1997, Basic Training, Lackland AFB, Texas
2. Jan 1998 – June 1998, Aircraft Maintenance School, Sheppard AFB, Texas
3. June 1998 – September 2002, F-16 Crew Chief, 120th FW, Great Falls, MT ANG
4. Oct 2002 – November 2002, Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson ANGB, Tenn.
5. March 2003 – April 2004, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
6. June 2004 – July 2004, student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Moody AFB, Ga.
7. September 2004 – May 2005, F-16C Replacement Training Unit, Kelly Field, Texas
8. June 2005 – August 2008, Assistant Weapons Officer/Alert Pilot, 186th FS, Great Falls, MT.
9. September 2008 – March 2009, F-15C Transition Course, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
10. April 2009 – November 2013, Chief of Scheduling/Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 186th FS, Great Falls, MT.
11. December 2013 – June 2014, C-130H Transition Course, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
12. July 2014 – February 2015, Chief of Training, 186 AS, Great Falls, MT.
13. March 2015 – May 2016, Chief of Training, 114th Fighter Squadron, Kingsley Field, Ore.
14. June 2016 – June 2018, Chief of Stan/Eval, 173d Operations Group, Kingsley Field, Ore.
15. June 2018 – September 2020, Commander, 173d Maintenance Squadron, Kingsley Field, Ore.
16. September 2020 – June 2021, Deputy Commander, 173d Mission Support Group, Kingsley Field, Ore.
17. June 2021 – Present, Commander, 173d Maintenance Group, Kingsley Field, Ore.
Rating: Senior Pilot
Flight hours: 2200 hours
Aircraft Flown: F-16B/C/D, F-15 C/D, C-130H1/2/3
MAJOR AWARDS and DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
2004 Distinguished Graduate, Under Graduate Pilot Training
2005 Distinguished Graduate, F-16C RTU
2014 Distinguished Graduate, C-130H RTU
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant, November 22, 2002
First Lieutenant, November 22, 2004
Captain, January 24, 2007
Major, February 25, 2011
Lieutenant Colonel, August 5, 2017
Colonel, June 24, 2021
(Current as of October 2021)