Colonel Jason T. Nalepa is the Commander, 173rd Operations Group, 173d Fighter Wing, Kingsley Field Air National Guard Base, Ore. As the 173 OG Commander,
he is responsible for all matters pertaining to the operational readiness and effectiveness of the Operations Group. Colonel Napela has command supervision of the 114th Fighter Squadron, 173rd Operations Squadron and 270th Air Traffic Control Squadron.
Colonel Nalepa is a 1999 graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. Post-commissioning, he was selected to attended undergraduate pilot training (UPT) at Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas. Colonel Nalepa is an active F-15 instructor pilot with with over 4,000 hours.
Colonel Naplea was selected to remain as a First Assignment Instructor Pilot (FAIP) upon graduation from UPT. After transitioning to the F-15C in 2003, he was assigned to the 493 FS, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, United Kingdom. In 2007, he transferred to Tyndall AFB, Fla., as an F-15 instructor pilot (IP) assigned to the 95 FS. While assigned to Tyndall AFB, he also served as a Flight Commander, F-15 Academic Instructor, SEFE and Assistant Director of Operations. In October 2009, he transitioned to the Oregon Air National Guard at Kingsley Field. In 2011, Colonel Nalepa attended the USAF Weapons School and returned to Kingsley Field as the 114th FS Weapons Officer and Chief IP. In 2013, he accepted a Title 10 statutory position to return to active duty assigned to the USAFWS. While serving at the USAFWS, he became the Air Dominance ANG Liaison to the USAF Air Warfare Center and served as the 433rd Weapons Squadron Director of Operations from 2013-2016. In 2017 Colonel Nalepa transitioned back to Kingsley Field to Command the 114th FS. Prior to his current position, Colonel Nalepa was assigned as the Deputy Commander, 173rd Mission Support Group.
1999 Bachelor of Science, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
2003 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2006 NATO Tactical Leadership Program
2011 USAF Weapons School class 11A, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2013 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2014 USAF Weapons School Instructor Pilot, Nellis AFB, Nev.
2019 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. June 1999 - August 2000, Student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Laughlin Air Force Base, Texas
2. September 2000 – December 2002, T-37 Instructor Pilot, Laughlin AFB, Texas
3. January 2003 – September 2003, Student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Sheppard AFB, Texas
4. October 2003 – September 2004, Student, F-15C Basic Course, 1st Fighter Squadron, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
5. October 2004 – June 2007, F-15C Pilot, 493 FS, Royal Air Force Lakenheath, Brandon Suffolk, UK
6. July 2003 – September 2009, F-15C Instructor Pilot / ADO, 95 FS, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
7. October 2009 – October 2013, F-15 IP, Weapons Officer, 114 FS, Kingsley Field Air National Guard Base, Ore.
8. November 2013 – December 2016, Weapons School Instructor, 433rd Weapons Squadron, Nellis AFB, Nev.
9. January 2017 – April 2019, F-15C IP, Commander, 114 FS, Kingsley Field ANGB, Ore.
10. May 2019 – Present, F-15C IP, Deputy Commander 173d Mission Support Group, Kingsley Field ANGB, Ore.
11. September 2020 – Present, F-15C FE, Commander, 173d Operations Group, Kingsley Field ANGB, Ore.
Rating: command pilot
Flight hours: more than 4,000
Aircraft flown: F-15 C/D, T-37, T-38, AT-38
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with three oak leaf clusters
AF Outstanding Unit Award with six oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Nuclear Deterrence Operations Service Medal
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Oregon National Guard Superior Unit Citation with two oak leaf clusters
2000 Distinguished Graduate, Pilot Instructor Training Class 01-03
2005 48th Fighter Wing Wingman of the Year
2008 95th Fighter Squadron CGO of the Year
2009 325 FW Sijan Leadership Award
2013 173d Operations Group Officer of the Year
2018 Oregon Air National Guard Unit of the Year, #1/38 ORANG Units as 114 FS/CC
2018 National Guard Association of the United States, Distinguished Flying Unit, #1/33 ANG FS as 114 FS/CC
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant June 2, 1999
First Lieutenant June 2, 2001
Captain June 2, 2003
Major Jan. 1, 2009
Lieutenant Colonel July 14, 2014
Colonel Oct. 26, 2020
(Current as of June 2021)