Colonel Lee Bouma is the Commander, 173d Fighter Wing, Kingsley Field Air National Guard Base, Oregon. As the sole F-15C Formal Training Unit in the United States Air Force, he leads over 1,050 personnel, the 110 member active association from Luke Air Force Base, and 32 Total Assigned, 26 Primary Assigned Aircraft.
Colonel Bouma completed Basic Training in July 1997 at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas followed by completion of Aircraft Maintenance Technical Training in June 1998. He graduated from Montana State University in 2002 and was commissioned as an Air Force Officer in November 2002. Colonel Bouma graduated Undergraduate Pilot Training in March 2004 as a Distinguished Graduate. He continued on to attend F-16C training where he was recognized as the class Distinguished Graduate. Colonel Bouma transitioned to the F-15C, graduating in February 2009. In June 2014 he graduated from C-130H training as an Aircraft Commander and was again recognized as a Distinguished Graduate.
Colonel Bouma has flown 22 combat sorties in support of Operation IRAQI FREEDOM and has over 75 hours of combat time. In 2016 he supported operations in the Netherlands as an F-15C Instructor Pilot. Additionally, Colonel Bouma has supported contingencies in South Korea. Prior to his current position the Colonel was Commander, 173d Maintenance Group, Kingsley Field Air National Guard Base, Oregon.
2002 Bachelor of Science, Business Management, Montana State University-Bozeman
2002 Academy Of Military Science, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
2009 Squadron Officer Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2014 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2020 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
1. June 1997 – July 1997, Basic Training, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. August 1997 – December 1997, Trainee, 120th Fighter Wing, Great Falls, Mont.
3. January 1998 – June 1998, Aircraft Maintenance School, Sheppard AFB, Texas
4. July 1998 – September 2002, F-16 Crew Chief, 120 FW, Great Falls, Mont.
5. October 2002 – November 2002, Academy of Military Science, McGhee Tyson Air National Guard Base, Tenn.
6. December 2002 – February 2003, Project officer, 120 FW, Great Falls, Mont.
7. March 2003 – April 2004, student, Undergraduate Pilot Training, Vance AFB, Okla.
8. May 2004 – July 2004, student, Introduction to Fighter Fundamentals, Moody AFB, Ga.
9. August 2004 – May 2005, F-16C Replacement Training Unit, Kelly Field, Texas
10. June 2005 – August 2008, Assistant Weapons Officer/Alert Pilot, 186th Fighter Squadron, Great Falls, Mont. (February 2008 – May 2008, Fighter Pilot, 332d Air Expeditionary Wing, Balad Air Base, Iraq)
11 September 2008 – March 2009, F-15C Transition Course, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
12. April 2009 – November 2013, Chief of Scheduling/Chief of Weapons and Tactics, 186 FS, Great Falls, Mont.
13. December 2013 – June 2014, C-130H Transition Course, Little Rock AFB, Ark.
14. July 2014 – February 2015, Chief of Training, 186th Airlift Squadron, Great Falls, Mont.
15. March 2015 – May 2016, Chief of Training, 114 FS, Kingsley Field ANGB, Ore.
16. June 2016 – June 2018, Chief of Stan/Eval, 173d Operations Group, Kingsley Field ANGB, Ore.
17. June 2018 – September 2020, Commander, 173d Maintenance Squadron, Kingsley Field ANGB, Ore.
18. September 2020 – June 2021, Deputy Commander, 173d Mission Support Group, Kingsley Field ANGB, Ore.
19. June 2021 – May 2022, Commander, 173d Maintenance Group, Kingsley Field ANGB, Ore.
20. May 2022 – Present, Commander, 173 FW, Kingsley Field ANGB, Ore.
Rating: senior pilot
Flight hours: 2200 hours
Aircraft Flown: F-16B/C/D, F-15 C/D, C-130H1/2/3
MAJOR AWARDS and DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Air Force Achievement Medal
2004 Distinguished Graduate, Under Graduate Pilot Training
2005 Distinguished Graduate, F-16C RTU
2014 Distinguished Graduate, C-130H RTU
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant Nov. 22, 2002
First Lieutenant Nov. 22, 2004
Captain Jan. 24, 2007
Major Feb. 25, 2011
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 5, 2017
Colonel June 24, 2021
(Current as of August 2022)