Chief Master Sergeant Israel Mackey is the Command Chief Master Sergeant, 173d Fighter Wing, Kingsley Field, Klamath Falls, Oregon. As Command Chief, he serves as the advisor to the commander and staff on matters of the health, welfare, morale, professional development, and effective utilization of 814 enlisted personnel assigned to the Wing.
CMSgt Mackey began his career in 1993 as an Assistant Dedicated Crew Chief with the 59FS, 33FW, Eglin AFB, Florida. His first assignment provided an opportunity to learn and grow as an Assistant Dedicated Crew Chief on the F-15. As an Airman he deployed to Dhahran, Saudi Arabia in support of OPERATION SOUTHERN WATCH, three years in a row. After four years with the 59 FS CMSgt Mackey PCSd to the 12 FS, 18 FW, Kadena AB, Japan. In November of 1998 CMSgt Mackey deployed to Incirlik, Turkey in Support of OPERATION NOTHERN WATCH. In December of 1999 CMSgt Mackey was reassigned as a Dedicated Crew Chief for the 95FS, 325 FW, Tyndall AFB, Florida. While assigned to the 95FS he volunteered for a short-notice Quality Assurance rotation to Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudi Arabia in support of OPERATION SOUTHERN WATCH; he was the only active duty F-15 inspector for three separate F-15 Air National Guard Units during the six-week rotation. In 2001 CMSgt Mackey joined the Oregon Air National Guard as a Repair and Reclamation (R&R) mechanic at Kingsley Field, Oregon. During his time at Kingsley Field CMSgt Mackey filled multiple vital roles within the 173 MXG. While assigned to the Maintenance Group Quality Assurance office, CMSgt Mackey played an integral role in several investigations that led to a fleet-wide redesign of the F-15 Main Landing Gear Jury Link. His experienced mechanical background facilitated his team’s efforts in identifying a major technical data discrepancy that impeded effective cooling of the Integrated Drive Generator oil system. As the Inspection Element Supervisor CMSgt Mackey aligned both work centers to bolster maintenance effectiveness and Airmen qualifications. CMSgt Mackey was promoted to the Component Maintenance Flight Senior Enlisted Leader in 2019 where he was responsible for the leadership and development of six maintenance flights and 120 maintainers. Prior to his current position CMSgt Mackey was the Maintenance Group SEL. He led the MXG team through a unique year that included two hospital COVID-19 activations and an unprecedented state-wide fire activation.
1992 Yamhill-Carlton Union High School, Yamhill, Ore.
1997 Airman Leadership School, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla.
2004 NCO Academy, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. By correspondence
2015 Senior Non Commissioned Officers Academy, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2015 Associate in Applied Science, Aviation Maintenance, Community College of the Air Force, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. By correspondence
2018 Defense Support of Civil Authorities Correspondence Course
2019 Senior Enlisted Joint PME, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala. By correspondence
2021 Chief Leadership Course, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
2022 Chief Master Sergeant Orientation Course, Andrews AFB, Md.
1. May 1992 – April 1997 Assistant Dedicated Crew Chief, 59th Fighter Sq, Eglin Air Force Base, Fla. (January 1994 – May 1994, Assist Dedicated Crew Chief, 59th Fighter Squadron, Dhahran Air Base, Saudi Arabia) (December 1994 – April 1995, Assist Dedicated Crew Chief, 58th Fighter Squadron, Dhahran Air Base, Saudi Arabia) (January 1996 – April 1996, Assist Dedicated Crew Chief, 59th Fighter Squadron, Dhahran Air Base, Saudi Arabia)
2. April 1997 – December 1999 Dedicated Crew Chief, 12th Fighter Sq, Kadena Air Base, Japan (November 1998 – February 1999, Dedicated Crew Chief, 12th Fighter Squadron, Incirlik, Turkey)
3. December 1999 – April 2001 Dedicated Crew Chief, 95th Fighter Sq, Tyndall AFB, Fla. (October 2000 – December 2000, Quality Assurance, 363d Expeditionary Squadron, Prince Sultan Air Base, Saudi Arabia)
4. April 2001 – March 2003 Repair and Reclamation, 173d Maintenance Sq, Kingsley Field, Ore.
5. March 2003 – October 2005 Phase Inspection Section, 173d Maintenance Sq, Kingsley Field, Ore.
6. October 2005 – July 2007 Aircraft Manager, 173d Aircraft Maintenance Sq, Kingsley Field, Ore.
7. July 2007 – October 2014 Quality Assurance Inspection Section, 173d Maintenance Group, Kingsley Field, Ore.
8. October 2014 – January 2017 Phase Dock Supervisor, 173d Maintenance Sq., Kingsley Field, Ore.
9. January 2017 – January 2019 Inspection Element Supervisor 173d Maintenance Sq., Kingsley Field, Ore
10. January 2019 – December 2021 Component Maintenance Chief, 173d Maintenance Squadron, Kingsley Field, Ore.
11. January 2022 – October 2022 Senior Enlisted Leader, 173d Maintenance Group, Kingsley Field, Ore.
12. October 2022 – Present Wing Command Chief, 173d Fighter Wing, Kingsley Field, Ore.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with five oak leaf clusters
AF Outstanding Unit Award with six oak leaf clusters
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
STATE AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Oregon National Guard Superior Unit Citation with three oak leaf clusters
Oregon Commendation Medal
Oregon Faithful Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
EFFECTIVE DATE OF PROMOTION
Airman Basic Dec. 11, 1992
Airman June 11, 1993
Airman First Class April 11, 1994
Senior Airman Feb. 24, 1996
Staff Sergeant June 01, 1999
Technical Sergeant April 21, 2004
Master Sergeant May 07, 2010
Senior Master Sergeant Jan. 23, 2017
Chief Master Sergeant Feb. 4, 2020
(Current as of January 2023)